Silkie ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bisqit&Gravy, May 19, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm thinking about ordering some silkie chicks. I noticed when I was reading on them there was info saying they do poor it heat.
    I live in N. Alabama and it gets hot and humid. I've seen them around here and I have Hashbrown the silkie mix.
    Do they really do bad in heat?

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    if your coop is not in the shade or they can't get to shade a fan (I have a fan in my coop)

I freeze bottles of water to put in cage with my rabbits I am sure that would work!

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I live in NE Alabama and my Silkies do just as well here as any other chicken I have owned. Shade is very important. I don't have trees around the runs so I have put up Shade Cloth and I have elevated the coops so they can get under them In August I water down the runs in the afternoon and spray cold water on the tin roof of one of the coops. I know people who have Silkies in Arizona and So. California in the imperial valley where temps of 110+ are not unusual. It is just a matter of watching and making sure they have cool water and someplace to get out of the sun.

4. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, I feel better. My chicken yard now has lots of shade. We are planning on moving them to another spot in the yard b/c trees and shrubs are growing through the fence on all four sides. It was already fenced in when I got the house and it's a mess.
    The new location has shade too. I have one of those shade covers that I was gonna use anyway to cover the top of one end since I already have it.

Maybe I'll get my order placed this week:D

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I live in Gainesville, Fl. and a friend of mine has a bunch of white silkies. He says they do fine! They are protected from the sun and he has a fan up in each run for all of his chickens...not just the silkies.

I Florida we really don't need hen 'houses' so much as they don't need to get out of the cold. Quite the opposite. A large 'run' with nesting boxes at one end, protected from the sun and rain does nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by