Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GuineaLady93, Aug 22, 2011.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Is this Silkie show quality?
    [​IMG]

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I would think the Silkie pros would need a better pic to determine that. Try to get one of the bird standing, in profile and a head on shot. Helps if you raise the bird up to eye level to get a full on shot rather than looking down at it. Also, does the bird have black eyes? Correct comb? Black skin? 5 correctly spaced toes on both feet?

3. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
  4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  5. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm also in the US too...oops I didn't know I gave a UK link, sorry about that.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

can't tell, its also really hard in pictures anyway.

Best advice - get a good profile picture. Put her on a counter or table or a railing or something outside (if you trust her to stay there) lean down or sit down and take a picture at eye level, face on, and then from the side. Put one hand in front of her so she can see it, and usually they'll back their head and neck back a bit - this will get you a good 'pose' from your silkie(s)...
    THEN - take a pic of the feet so we can check out spacing and feathering.

Things to look for:

dark/black eyes ?

good full feathering on the middle toe?

Are the toes spaced apart (or are the 4th and 5th crabbed together or crammed close and tight? )

is the skin, feet, and beak an even dark charcoal or blackish blue color? (slightly lighter than black is tolerated in splash I believe)

are the wings held up close and tight to the body or are they loose and hang down some?

any hard feathers in the tail?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by