Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RedBrush Farm, Nov 28, 2011.

1. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I just bought 5 silkies. One 2 roosters and 3 hens. When I got home I noticed that one of the males has a comb that sticks up like any other type rooster. Is this normal?

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:sounds like a single comb. yes it happens, the single comb gene will pop up in silkies, and it can be passed on to the offspring. [​IMG] if they are pets, its perfectly fine. I however wouldn't use for breeding. I have a single comb pet - shes a great broody I love her.

3. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the information. I do want to breed the girls. After they are hatched how soon can I tell if they will have his cone?

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I think the point is that he shouldn't be used for breeding AT ALL.

If I recall correctly, a single comb is a recessive trait, which means he is homozygous for single comb and will pass it to all of his offspring. If the other parent is heterozygous for the walnut comb, half the offspring will have a straight comb (assuming Mendelian genetics, which isn't guaranteed in the real world) and it will take 3-4 generations to get a single bird that is homozygous for walnut comb.

If you really are going to breed silkies, it will be easiest to save yourself the plethora of poor quality offspring and not breed him. You have a second roo, right? Your best bet is to sell the straight comb one as a pet and use the other for breeding.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

u should post a pic so we know if its silkie or not. some chickens get silkie feathers but are not silkies

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    There was also a recent post by someone who thought his gorgeous black cochin roo was a silkie hen [​IMG]

Quote:

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:
    hahah i remember that one. lol it helps to post pics. if it is a silkie and has a single comb i wouldnt use him for birds intended for show. otherwise i say breed away. idk who sayus u cant have single comb silkies as backyard pets. me myself wouldnt mind having one. lol i think its ok to breed them as long as u dont try to show them or sell them as show birds. and if u do sell them tell people they carry the single comb gene

8. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    stephanie1992
    hahah i remember that one. lol it helps to post pics. if it is a silkie and has a single comb i wouldnt use him for birds intended for show. otherwise i say breed away. idk who sayus u cant have single comb silkies as backyard pets. me myself wouldnt mind having one. lol i think its ok to breed them as long as u dont try to show them or sell them as show birds. and if u do sell them tell people they carry the single comb gene.

Problem with breeding any animal that is poor quality is that it will bring down the breed standards. Anyone who plans to breed anything should always strive to produce the best posible specimens that represent that breed, not the poorest. If everyone just bred any roo to any hen the breed's quality would eventually be so poor eventualy it would be worthless. That is why real breeders are so carreful to match certain roos to certain hens to produce the best chicks who can then go on to produce even better chicks. Breeding an animal just for the sake of breeding it is wrong.

Just because they are chickens is no different than any other animal. Especially with silkies where they are considered an ornimental breed and their looks is what they are bred for. They have been bred for hundreds of years and have changed very little during that time because of careful breeding practices. Something we should all strive for.

Just my 2cents.
    [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:If the other parent is homozygous, ALL will have walnut combs. Combs and toes are some of the easiest traits to work with, and the ones I am least likely to worry about. Worry about type and wingset first, and ignore combs until any and all other problems are corrected.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Actually, silkies have changed DRAMATICALLY within the last 30-50 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by