1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TherryChicken, Sep 22, 2012.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I wasn't too sure where to put this, so I put it in here since it had to do with eggs.. I'm getting a silkie chicken in today as a broody hen.. How long do I need to wait before putting eggs under her? Also would I have to worry about my other girls messing with the eggs? One is a bit of a bully to the other and i'm thinking it's just because she's older and larger.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Broodiness is still a hormonal thing. You would need to wait until she's showing signs of sitting. If you have a lot of bullies in your flock you will want to separate her from the others.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  3. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    How will I knotice when she's sitting? I was told that she's laying and is sitting already. The other 2. I'm thinking is because the age difference. It's the delaware that picks on my Dominique..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by