Silkies, 15 weeks, what are they?!!! Ton of pics:)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mysweetgypsy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    There are several pics, I did my best. There are 4 silkies, 1 splash, 1 blue & gold, 1 partridge, 1 buff. I think the buff is a hen, I think the blue is a roo, but really I have NO idea. No crowing, they all fight on rare occasions, the blue has brought the others food before. I'll try to label the pics. Now I turn this over to the experts:) Thanks to all for the help!!

[​IMG]
    Blue and gold

[​IMG]
    Blue and gold

[​IMG]
    Blue and partridge

[​IMG]
    Partridge

[​IMG]
    Partridge

[​IMG]
    Buff (duh:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Splash:)

[​IMG]
    Heres a shot of the bunch, just in case there's a "tell" here I didn't notice:)

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    All the silkies look to be pullets I don't see any signs of them being roo's

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Honestly, from everything I've learned about silkies, they're extremely difficult to sex until the reach an age where they will either crow or lay an egg.

I have 4 silkies that are 3-1/2 months old. I can't tell for sure what ANY of them are, though I'm fairly certain that my cuckoo silkie is a male because he totally acts like a cockerel! And I think Sascha, my white silkie, is a girl because she acts like a girl. But Preston (partridge) and Honey (an isabel)… well, it's just really hard to tell with them. I truthfully think the cuckoo (Roberto) is the only male of the bunch.

4. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    I've heard they are one of the worst for determining sex:) I like the other guess by Teresaann24, though one roo would be ok. I'll just keep my fingers crossed:) Can you post a pic of an Isabel silkie? Thanks for the input, I'll add what they each turn out to be as I figure it out. [​IMG]

5. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    [​IMG] WOW!!! Off topic but that's a beautiful Gypsy horse in your avatar above me!!!

6. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    They all look like hens. We accidently got a male and from early on his tail was always held up so high.

7. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    Thanks, about the pony:) He is amazing, and such a sweetheart. I'm hoping to bring him home next summer. So much work to do here, fencing, shelter, it never ends!

This was him as a 2yo. They really are so gentle, but he does have a chicken side to him [​IMG] His mane is almost to his knees now, and his tail drags the ground. Too bad I couldn't find any recent pics [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by