1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies @ 8/9 weeks.... are all 5 roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rosetinted, Jan 4, 2010.

1. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Here are my 8/9 week old silkie chicks [​IMG]
    I didn't hatch these, I bought them as 2 week old chicks.

Do any look more pullet-y or roo-y to you? I'm having a hard job sexing them, ideally I'd like to take a couple of the roos to market tomorrow.

Or are they all roos?[​IMG]

Chick 1 below...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I would guess chick #3, but I'm a lousy silky guesser, so you better wait for a better opinion.

3. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I agree about chick #3 but its really too early to tell on silkies

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    too young to know unless one crows.
    Even a silkie PRO would be guessing at them.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:A Silkie PRO wouldn't even try because we know it impossible. Now if we could just get everyone else to understand that.....

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:If you'd done your homework properly you would know that a Silkie CANNOT be sexed until they are nearing 6 months of age. And yes I know that MPC says they can, but they are a ripoff, and if you believe they can feel free to send your birds to them for sexing. These birds are WAY to young for ANYONE to know what they are, or even have an educated guess at it.

With that being said, you'll just be shooting yourself in the foot by taking ANY of these to the auction. 9 times out of 10 any guesses you get from others will be wrong because as i've said they are too young, and people on BYC are only looking at pictures. You wont know anything for certain until they are at least 20-25 weeks old if not longer.

7. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    every where i have read has saide show quality silkys are almost impossible to sex until they either lay an egg or crow but hatchery quality is very easy being able to sex when they start to get the crest on there head if a "pro" only has experience raising chicks they got from other breeders/show stalk i can see where they would think it is impossible to tell the difference but i have some hatchery quality right now and can deffenitly tell the difference they are about 4months now but ive been able to tell for awhile i wish that what cajun is saying is true for hatchery too becouse it looks like all 5 of my blues are roosters and 2 of my whites are roosters and 3 are hens

8. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Thanks for your advice guys, looks like the little monkeys will all be staying together a bit longer then [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, it is sometimes possible to tell gender earlier with silkies who are more pet quality than with birds who are closer to the standard, but not always. And PQ silkie crests do not always conform to the "rule" about crest shape. It is possible to tell the gender for a day old silkie, but I don't know anyone willing to pay the $20-30 per bird for DNA testing. [​IMG]

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:A Silkie PRO wouldn't even try because we know it impossible. Now if we could just get everyone else to understand that.....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by