Silkies and Bearded d'Anvers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by matthewschickens, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Are these good breeds?
    Do they do better in heat or cold?
    Will they do bad in the other(heat or cold)?
    Would they go good with Seramas?
    Are they friendly?
    Do they they a lot of eggs?

Thanks!!!

Matthew

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I wonder how google stays so busy if no one uses them....

3. Quote:I sometimes use it but it has a lot of sellers and they only tell you good things about their birds.
    I wanted advice from people who have had them.

Matthew

4. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Go to this site: http://www.kippengrabbelton.be/engels/ and click on 'breedsinfo'. It tells you the statisitcs about each breed, including the average number of eggs in a year. I don't think the site is active anymore but it holds a ton of information.

Silkies are cold hardy but the d'Anvers are not. I just did research on them. mypetchicken.com will tell you about breeds that are cold hardy. they have a search tool for finding what will work.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have never raised d'anvers, but I cannot immagine why they would be less cold hardy than the average. Also, they have a rose comb, so frostbite is considerably less of an issue. Native to Belgium, they should be able to handle normal winter temperatures with regular care (food, shelter).

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I sometimes use it but it has a lot of sellers and they only tell you good things about their birds.
    I wanted advice from people who have had them.

Matthew

You should be able to locate breed clubs with google; likewise, feathersite had links to breed clubs, plus at least some information about each breed.

7. Thanks!

Anyone else?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes, ask Aubrey on that thread, he has Seramas, Silikies, and OMG does he have some d'Anvers. I can tell you what he will say to the questions you asked, but ask him yourself and he'll give you lotts of personal info on them you can even order some birds from him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by