Silkies and cold weather!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jackson41, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hope this is the correct place to post. Can silkies handle cold weather with an insulated coop but no added heat?

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Well, I'm no expert, but I have 2 silkies, and 7 other breeds, and they handle the cold here in VA with no problem. We got down to about the teens this year. Of course, I still worried, and put a lamp in later in the winter, for my own piece of mind, but before that they were fit and happy!

3. jackson41

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, We got down to 20 below zero this winter our big girls were just fine. The silkies would be in a seperate coop very well insulated.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes. absolutely they can. Wind and moisture effect them more than other breeds due to feather type, but the cold itself is not any more of a problem for them than for other chickens.

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    It got down to around -15 or so with the wind chill here. My silkies went out in December at about 10 weeks old. Their coop is not insulated, but draft free and had a thick layer of bedding. They did fine, slept all piled up. They still do, lol.

6. jackson41

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Great, I can't wait to have a little group of silkies! Do they need the same 4square feet of floor space per bird or can you go smaller?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by