Silkies and feeders...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by watersoflethe, May 29, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    so i have 3 adult silkies that i bought as adults. when i first brought them i gave them the metal feeder thingy that's really common. this is what i have been using with my other chickens and were fine. however i watched them for two days and they didn't seem like they were getting enough to eat. they seemed like they were having a bit of trouble sticking their very well feathered head into the little holes. and so i switched to a plain old bowl for them to eat out of which they seem to love. however they are constantly spilling it and such and so i tried switching to a flatter bowl. now they kick it out. they are wasting too much feed. is there something else i can feed these silkies in?

2. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    instand of holes that they have to tick there heads into make it like a bowl were they can get only there beaks into. Some chickens don't like to put there heads in holes as they feel vulnerable. I have 2 of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/8kg-Poultry-...ewItem&pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item4833d88ee4 they seem to work real well.

Have you also thought about those PVC feeders i plan on doing some of those soon too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by