silkies and fizzles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    what happens if the two are bred? I know that fizzle to fizzle should not be bred together because their is a chance of chicks with messed up feathers but is it ok to do silkie to fizzle? and should the fizzle or the silkie be the roo, or does it not matter. sorry I am VERY new to this breeding thing.... btw I have 3 fizzles pipping right now!

2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    You get what is called a Sizzle.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:so you will always get a sizzle? ok now I have to do a search and see what they look like......

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    this is one of my sizzles

[​IMG]

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    no, when they hatch they can come out sizzles, smooth sizzles, silkied or frizzled silkied.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    F1 would be smooth (non silkie), with 100% het for the silkie gene. 50% would be frizzled, 50% would be smooth.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And in F2, it depends on what you breed them to as to whether you can/will get any silkie feathering. It is recessive, so they have to receive the gene from each parent.

It makes no difference as to which parent supplies frizzling and which supplies silkie features, but a roo can fertilize more eggs than a hen: 1 hen = 1 egg per day, 1 roo = many eggs per day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by