Silkies and Jersey Giants. HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NewMommy123, Sep 22, 2010.

1. NewMommy123

NewMommy123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Grapeview,WA
    I am planning to get some Silkie hens ( hopefully) but I have a Jersey Giant rooster. If they were to mate do you think the Jersey Giant size eggs would kill her? Please HELP!!!!!!!

2. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I think the rooster would do more harm than the egg. I have a JG roo and he is huge! Would be scared to put him near my silkie hens. JMO.

3. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    The mating rooster would be my concern as well. I do have silkie hens in with JG hens - no problem. If anything, the silkies are bossier.

4. NewMommy123

Aug 8, 2010
    Grapeview,WA
    Thanks for all of the replys! Although if they were dog then the silkies would die.

5. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    silkies being mated to jerseys will not change the size of the egg....

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Having a different breed of rooster would not change the eggs in any way, besides the fact that they will be fertile. Who mates with a hen has nothing to do with the size the egg will be. But yes, a rooster of that size would have a good chance of killing or injuring a hen that is so small.

7. NewMommy123

Aug 8, 2010
    Grapeview,WA
    Thanks to ThePolishPrincess and solarquail for the reassurance. I will probably have to devise a way to keep them seperate then.

8. thechickenmama

thechickenmama New Egg

Sep 10, 2010
    I have a Jersey Giant and 5 hens (3 wyandottes and 2 red stars) mine are getting pretty beaten up. Asking for help on keeping them separate. If I were you I wouldn't have them together.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have a couple of good sized Barred Rock hens. I keep my JG rooster seperate from all my hens, he towers over the big BR hens and I know he'd definitely hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by