Silkies and laying abilities?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, May 5, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    One of my kids wants to get some silkies. I know nothing of them other than that I read on here that they are evily addicting. Are they bantams or just very small chickens are there large ones? How often do they lay and what size are the eggs?
    thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    The eggs are small sized. I get one egg per day from my silkies nearly consistently.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My girls are laying good. they have been laying for about a month or so, and I get an egg a day from each of them.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Is it me, or are Silkies a hot topic today? Every other thread seems to be about Silkies today.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Bet its hard for you to keep up with all the questions! LOL

I also see there are a LOT of new people getting new breeds, so I'm not surprised these guys are the first choice for those people searching out some pets rather then just egg machines.

I'm happy with my small silkie eggs, because I get about 1 a day from each hen WHEN they are laying. Silkies like to go broody, which mean they try to hatch their eggs often. So you will lose your hen to the nest several times out of the year because they want to hatch eggs and not lay them.

They have an awesome temparment as well, so definitely worth it if you want a bird who's a pet first.

6. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:Bet its hard for you to keep up with all the questions! LOL

I also see there are a LOT of new people getting new breeds, so I'm not surprised these guys are the first choice for those people searching out some pets rather then just egg machines.

I'm happy with my small silkie eggs, because I get about 1 a day from each hen WHEN they are laying. Silkies like to go broody, which mean they try to hatch their eggs often. So you will lose your hen to the nest several times out of the year because they want to hatch eggs and not lay them.

They have an awesome temparment as well, so definitely worth it if you want a bird who's a pet first.

sorry to hijack here but thank you for explaining the silkies [​IMG] I have 3 that I hatched out a month ago and these are my 1st silkies! I still don't know how to tell if they are male or female, but they are so cute!

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    great info thanks, can sombody tell me if they come in "large" size

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Large fowl silkies are available in other parts of hte world. Not in the US, but there are rumours, and rumours of rumours that people are working on it.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Interesting. I saw some pics of the offspring of silky crossed with naked neck to make a "show girl" so I guess their feathering must pass on in crossing to some extent . . . I know that stays into the genetic theme - of which I know nothing- but it does seem like some fun crosses could be had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by