Silkies and mixing breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by noahsmom, Jan 25, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I'm thinking about ordering some eggs from a hatchery possibly Cackle, I'm currently working on gathering the supplies to make my own incubator. I've really delved into this head first I'm afraid lol but I've spent so much time reading around I really want the WHOLE experience...I know my 5year old son would enjoy it as well. We haven't got our coop or run finished, we are hoping by march we can have it finished, so It will be a while before I order eggs. Anyway, We want good layers, our plan is to buy some Rhode Island Reds and I have really fallen in love with the silkies :)
    Will these two breeds if raised together from eggs/chicks be ok you think?

I had a RIR roo as a pet when I was younger and he was the sweetest bird I've ever met, he would follow me into my home and just loved to be near people. But apparently doing a lot of reading on the RIR's they are known to be sort of a more aggressive bird. I know to have a friendly chicken you must spend time with them, handling them etc,.. but I worry about how they will get along with the smaller silkies.

I think silkies are gorgeous and reading how friendly they can be just makes me want one even more. With having a 5year old I would really like some chickens I know have a greater chance of being friendly so he can spend time with them to without me worrying. Would love to hear more about your silkies behavior and the breed in general?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mix of breeds and crosses, everything from warren hybrid (as big as a RIR) who is adorable, to silkies. Chickens will get along with each other once they establish a pecking order. You may have a few small fights break out, but they need to establish who's boss. Mine all know their place and my silkies aren't last in the pecking order. If you raise all the chicks you are hoping to get by hand from babies or eggs, then they will get on from day one, and will also do their scrapping as babies instead of fully fledged adults. To make mine extra tame, I hand fed them dried mealworms from chicks. They loved me :) I have a broody silkie at the moment, as silkies tend to want to sit on eggs a LOT. They make excellent mothers, and are a great way to rear chicks the natural way (although the chicks are less tame if not hand raised). Not collecting eggs from the nest box daily and promptly could make the already broody silkies plonk their bums on the eggs. Once a silkie has gone broody, she stops laying for a while. If not broody, a silkie can lay everyday like mine has. :) Good luck xx

3. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Thank you, that is encouraging to read! I was thinking having predominately RIR's as pets/layers and then a few silkies that I just want for my pets. I don't necessarily expect to keep them for eggs, but would gladly eat their eggs when layed. But, I think it would be great to have some beautiful silkes in my mix. :)
    As of right now we don't plan to raise any chickens ourselves, we would need to build a separate coop/run which we do have the space for...who knows what the future will bring though. :)

4. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I do believe I am going to be purchasing Silkie Hatching eggs from Bargain "Garry Farms" here at BYC. She has beautiful Silkies and I would love to buy from those who seem to really love their animals and their way of living is truly inspiring. Hoping they will have some around March I can purchase! :)

5. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear it :) Good luck. silkies are beautiful. x

6. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by