Silkies and my other bigger girls

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cynthia 085, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hello

I have 3 silkies and 1 RRP, 1Buff Rock, and 1 Ancona
    I have just recently learned that the silkies might be bullied on by the other girls.

We have a big backyard and we have no dogs or cats or anything in the backyard, but them. So we have decided to have another chicken coop specifically for the Silkies.

I was wondering how will all of them act once they are sharing the backyard? (The silkies are still far too small)

My concern is when they see each other even though they have different chicken coops will the fight?

If they start fighting when should I intervene and when should I not intervene? One of the 3 silkies has the vultured skull.

My lack of research has made it a bit of a hard situation. Before I got the silkies I did some research online and many said that it was fine to mix them with other bigger breeds, but now that I am here in this forum I learned that they will get bullied unless they were brought up together as chicks and this is not my case. I got the bigger girls first and then the silikes.

So I was wondering if I can make my situation work somehow. My father wanted the egg layers and I prefer the silkies. I guess that is why we are in this mess XP

Thanks
    Cynthia

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Two coops at least initially is a great idea. When raised together I have silkies and large fowl that got along fine - the silkies usually on the lower end of the pecking order. Because of their smaller size, generally mild temperament, and impaired vision (crests) silkies can face problems when being integrated into an established flock. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    So you can have them together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by