Silkies and other breed chicks and free ranging

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicksnPacas, May 19, 2008.

1. ChicksnPacas

ChicksnPacas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    We have six-week old silkies that we were going to let free range in a couple of weeks with larger breed chicks the same age. A friend said he lost all his silkies, because they do not do well free ranging. His experience was that they do not run or hide if a hawk or large bird flies over, and they are easy to pick up. Is this situation typical for silkies - do they need to be kept in an enclosed area? Can a hawk basically pick up any size chicken?

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I wouldn't free range silkies, they aren't at all able to defend against predators. Mine stay in a covered pen

3. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    His experience was that they do not run or hide if a hawk or large bird flies over, and they are easy to pick up. Is this situation typical for silkies - do they need to be kept in an enclosed area

They probably don't run cause they can't see. Cute little puff balls they are, they are not great at taking care of themselves. I've lost one chicken to a hawk, and it was a silkie...
    But I still plan on free ranging the new chicks when they get older. It may help if you have a rooster (non silkie) to help protect the girls. I've heard of some people trimming the feathers around their eyes so they can see better.
    Also, I've decided to stay away from white silkies. They don't even benefit from camoflauge!
    Good luck,
    Terry​

4. ChicksnPacas

ChicksnPacas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    Thanks for the info, I was rather afraid he was right:thun

5. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Yes, the helpless princesses of the chicken world. If I lose anymore to hawks I'll be making a separate protected area for them. Gotta have my silkies.
    Terry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by