Silkies and shipping? (might have 3 hens & roo available)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CelticOaksFarm, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    How do you know shipping costs, and how many adult silkies can safely ship together?

2 buff girls
    1 blue girl
    1 black/ black splash? Roo

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

To find out shipping costs you have to go to http://postcalc.usps.gov/ and then put in the zipcode to and from and the weight. Adult birds must go by express mail. If they are full grown you can ship a pair. Not sure about 2 males, depends on how big your males are. I put either an apple, peas, lettuce or a can of whole corn in the box with the birds. Make sure you write the recipents phone number on the box in several places with Call on Arrival.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The number of birds you can ship together depends on the size of the box. The cheapest boxes hold 2-3 bantams depending on the size of the bird, so silkies would fit 2 like SW said. But you can tape 2 boxes together or get a bigger box if they are all going to the same place. I have used apples, cooked carrots, and tomatoes for shipping chickens, I usually save lettuce for shipping waterfowl.

You can get boxes very inexpensively at this site: http://www.cjsilkies.com/matthewsoakridgefarmboxes.htm , they are only $5 each for the DIY single boxes. The single boxes with filters in place are $6.50...still very cheap. But you have to send an email to get a total for the quote. I got my boxes about 5 days after placing my order [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Secrets of the trade I guess [​IMG] I always wondered how people could charge $10 for a shipping box when all the ones I found cost $10 just for the box with an additional $10-$15 shipping (to me) on top of that. Glad I finally found it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by