silkies and standards

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
Is it possible to introduce some silkies to a pen of standard size? I'd like to get some to use as broodies, but not if they'll be picked on by the bigger ones.

Mine have always gotten along fine with standards as long as the rooster isnt so big that he will hurt them.

Chel

I've got Marans roosters and they are really pretty gentle with their girls, but I'd hate for a smaller silkie to get hurt. Maybe I should just start thinking about a seperate pen for a few silkies.

Thanks

yes you can do that. But there is a posibility that the silkies will (like always) be at the bottom of the pecking order

Funny, mine have always been at the top.

Tuffy is my white non bearded silkie and she is the boss of all chickens no matter what size, breed or gender.

I've brought home roosters by accident more than once and she beat the crap out of them for about 5 minutes just to make sure they knew who was in charge. She will whomp my easter eggers, my polish, my other silkie and my game hen if they "misbehave". My second silkie is second in charge and always has been.

Don't get me wrong, she's not aggressive.....She has never done more than pull a few feathers. But I guess my point is that silkies can hold their own. She will even attack my 80 pound german shepherd if she gets too playful.​

Yes, Mine all freerange together just fine, and my favourite silky hen Fluffy has just started to attack Goldilocks, my sweet 16 year old standard hen, so I gave her a slap and locked her in the sin bin for a couple of hours, !!Fluffy is getting broody and has PMT really bad.
Good luck, give it a try but have plan B in place.

Back
Top Bottom