Silkies and Start & Grow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jan 2, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

How long should I keep my Silkies on start and grow. They are now 4 months old, (17 weeks), and I still have them on unmedicated start and grow. Since silkies lay later, should I keep them on start and grow longer.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I kept my Silkie pullet on start-n-grow until she was laying, but that's just what I did. Don't know whether it was right or not, but she seems to be doing fine and dandy anyways! [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    What brand of feed are you using? I use Dumor and I follow the directions on the back of the bag. Mine are the same age as yours and I have been using Grower/Finisher for about... maybe a month at least? We're on our third bag of Grower/Finisher. But isn't the Dumor brand Starter/Grower too? I think so... I would switch feeds, but that's my opinion and i'm not the most experienced either. But since yours is medicated I guess that's a different story...

4. SundownWaterfowl

mine is unmedicated. Im feeding Purina Start and Grow. Its a starter and grower all in one.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Oh ok. Forget what I said about the medicated part [​IMG] So I guess it wouldn't really matter since it's also grower too.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I use the Purina also. Does it recommend what age to feed the start-n-grow to on the back of the bag? If you're concerned, then I would go with that.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  7. SundownWaterfowl

I think so, but silkies lay later, so I dont want to switch them to layer before they need it. Maybe flock raiser?

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Bag says to feed them start/grow till they start to lay, if you have a mixed flock I would switch them all at the same time, when the earliest layers start to lay.

9. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:No, its just all silkies. I guess I will do that then, just keep them on that until I get an egg. Thanks.

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I keep all my chicks on Starter Grower till they lay. LF and bantam silkies. It has worked for me well. I really like to keep the large fowl on it cause they are usally still growing past 20 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by