Silkies and telling sex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by waibel zoo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    So my silkies are now about 4 weeks old. I have two who have a noticable comb going on and the rest have nothing, just a flat black spot. Is it safe to assume these two are cockrels? I don't doubt there are more hiding in there, but how often do 4 week old pullets have combs on silkies?

2. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    I couldnt tell nothing until tmine were about 5 monthes or when they start crowing.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If they are from a hatchery, you can tell earlier on. I knew at about 1 month, with my pet quality silkies, that I had 2 males and a hen.

4. waibel zoo

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I got them at a feed store and I am guessing they are from Privett. One seems to be getting a walnut comb and the other has a straight comb.

5. waibel zoo

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    Bump.

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    My silkies from Ideal last year I could tell aroung 5 weeks if they were male or female. The nonbearded silkies seem to show wattles before the bearded.

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:Straight comb? That doesnt sound good.

8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Straight comb? That doesnt sound good.

If it's from Privett its not surprising that it would have a single comb. Most hatchery birds have them. (Mine did from Ideal Hatchery). Can you post pictures? I love baby silkie pictures. [​IMG]

9. waibel zoo

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    My camera sucks. I tried to take a pic with a 8 MP camera and to see the comb I have to zoom in and it gets blurry. Stupid camera. Anywho, really I don't care what kind of comb or anything he has. I just can't have roosters. So if I was going to keep a roo it would be a buff silkie or one of my red frizzles. But it would have to be on the quieter side. If I am preety sure I have a roo I sell them at 6 weeks of age for what I paid for them. No reason to feed them longer. I seem to have an easy time selling them here. I guess my real question is has anyone ever had a silkie pullet with a comb at a month old. If not, I can reasonably rule these to be cockrels and can sell them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I can't really answer that question for you myself. I've never had a silkie show its comb till it was a few months old. Like around 4 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by