Silkies and their eyes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MonicasGarden, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MonicasGarden

MonicasGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hemet, California
    I read something on another website that if you hold your Silkie at eye level, and you cannot see their eyes, it is best to pluck the feathers directly in front of their eyes so they can see...

I was just wondering if anyone else has done this?

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    If you cannot see their eyes they cannot see you. Their huge crests need trimming from time to time.
    I use kid craft scissers with the rounded ends for safety precaution as they bob around alot when they realize what is going on. I trim the area around the eyes to where I can see the eyes clearly.

Folks that show prefer plucking as trimmed feathers cost points I think. I read that they pluck a 1/8th area. Sure someone other Silkie owners can add to how they help their babies out.

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    No silkies here, but I have sultans. They absolutely LOVE it when I trim the feathers in front of their eyes. At first, they were apprehensive, wondering what I was doing with those scissors near their faces, but now that they know it means they will be able to see, they all come running when I walk outside w/ a pair of scissors. [​IMG]

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I gave my silkie girl a rockin' mohawk the other day....SHE CAN SEE!!! [​IMG]

5. MonicasGarden

MonicasGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hemet, California
    Thanks for the tips. I bought a pair of children scissors... we'll see how it goes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by