Silkies and winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Justjered, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Justjered

Justjered Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2016
    Galesburg, Illinois
    There are silkie breeders within a 1 hour radius of us so I assume I'm asking a silly question however I'm going to ask it anyways.

We have 5 adult and 4 young silkies. Are they okay being outside in the snow and winter months as they have been in the summer months. Or should I be looking at keeping them in more of an enclosed space during our cold winters.

Were in Central Illinois and temps have finally made it down to freezing this week ( and appear to be sticking to that range for the winter as the 15 day forecast has freezing temps each evening).

We have a pretty solid coop that is draft free (but ventilated) so their coop isnt the issue, more so wondering if we should be limiting their outside time once the white stuff hits the ground.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They may voluntarily limit their outdoor time. In my experience, silkies have done fine in the winter. The only thing I would keep an eye on is the possibility of frozen snow/ice building up on their foot feathers.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm north of you in Wisconsin, when I had silkies they did fine. They don't always like going outside in winter. It helps to put down hay over the ground as none of my bantams will walk on snow. On really cold days mine stay in the coop. On good days I open the pop hole and give them the choice to go out or not.

4. Justjered

Justjered Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2016
    Galesburg, Illinois
    thanks for the advise. We added a small are that is partly enclosed for them to have outside time but still be protected from winds and moisture. So plan to allow them in there regardless and have the ability to go out into the snow as they want. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt to many issues with the cold or specifically the snow/ice on their feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by