silkies ..........any opinions as to gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magsrags, Nov 10, 2008.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    My 3 month old silkies. I dare not guess what they are and would like some opinions please. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Round poofy heads girls I say. Spikey topped boy. See what every one else thinks. I am curious becasue I have three that look like that too. One poofy and two spiky. I wih it were the other way around!!
    H

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I am inclined to agree... [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I also agree. But my gut says pink wide-comb says boy more so than spike head ATM. Since I've had some pet quality girls without the head poof.

5. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I understand your frustration. I really need only girls..........am hoping all the rest of my little ones give me a chance of making up a nice flock of 10 or so hens. If I can, I hope to manage to keep 1 nice roo in the end.......with no neighbors complaining. [​IMG]

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    1 of your white ones and one partidge is a girl and the other white is a boy. Notice large comb, some girls can have large combs but he looks very boyish to me.

7. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:Yes, and I'd thought the combs were all supposed to be mulberry in color? hmmmmm....I am so new at this.

8. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:I think he has a boy air about him as well. The other 2 have a "softer" look to their faces don't ya think?

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, show birds should have the dark color. It's very well possible for hatchery quality, pet quality, and even perhaps as much as a breeder quality bird to have the wrong color comb if it has a well desired trait otherwise.

All mine are pet quality with bright red combs, small crests, featherless middle toes, and probably the wrong size, shape, and color! But I could care less as they are pets and utility, not for show.

10. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:OH...ok! Good to know then. I don't plan on doing any showing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by