1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Silkies are good moms, even at two weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have a gaggle of two week old silkies, then hatched out two teeny mille fleur d'uccles, less than 24 hours apart from each other. Well, first d'uccle is full of energy, inquisitive, needy (probably a little roo). Second one to hatch was very weak at birth, small, unsteady on her feet. i tried to put them together but Mr. Energy kept picking on the little one. But i couldn't keep them apart or he would chirp nonstop.

In frustration, i put him in with my silkies. They all started picking on him, so one by one i moved the silkies to a larger brooder. i ended up with one silkie, a gentle soul, who took kindly to the little guy. After the other d'uccle got a bit more on her feet, i put her in, too.

They are now the cutest trio. The d'uccles follow the silkie (who i've now named Brigitte, after Brigitte Bardot) all over the brooder. They drink water when she does, peck at food when she pecks, curl up to sleep together - it's adorable.

Anyhow, here are some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG....... how totally adorable [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Great pictures, it is so true, they are great little soles. I have some hatching today and I will so enjoy watching the dynamics between the Silkie and the Australorps. Yikes!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, that will be some size difference. i have some eggs pipping too right now, which is why i haven't been able to sleep all night. i've got some cuckoo silkies and showgirls. i'm actually hoping to put them all in with Brigitte once they get their legs under them. She's a sweetheart. And, probably best to have her with littler ones as the bigger silkies had been pecking at her vaulted skull. They're probably just jealous. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by