Silkies are mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Sep 14, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My silkies are mating out of season. I've not seen an egg out of either of the hens since they got here, does that mean they are not fertile right now? If they are, how long after mating would I see an egg?

Should I set up a nest in the duckhouse for them that they can claim as their own so if they do lay they have a spot to go broody in? (my one silky female is the top of the pecking order).

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    honestly idk but my swedes are mating out of season and i can see his lil swimmers miss and get all over her behind and then sometimes he is sucessful but no eggs so i bet the females arent fertile at the moment but idk

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    :idunnno My boys are breeding everyone, but only two of my girls are laying. The females might be like " Uhhhmmm... Im not starting that again, its break time!" But your stud muffin must have other ideas.

4. rainplace

My silky females seem to be up to the task though...

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL, My magpie and buff girls get into position for my old geezer drake and its kind of sad when he walks over them [​IMG] WIsh I could help More Rainplace but im just not sure what to say. My drake is breeding with 4 of my 5+ month old girls but they havent started laying yet.
    Stinky snobs [​IMG]

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh please let me know when they start laying! I have been wanting silkie ducks for about a year and have not been able to find them or eggs. My silkie hens will certainly love to hatch me some though [​IMG] You have pics?

7. rainplace

These are first breeding sets, so all eggs belong to them! I hear they are very difficult to hatch though. With everything going wrong at hatch day. Dave Holderread told me that near the end of the hatch the humidity should be way lower than usual, and that the best hatches are to have the mothers hatch them out.

I should have juveniles available next fall though!

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:my drakes mate with my hens all of the time and no eggs so it might be up to the hens b/c the drakes seem the idea all year long ........ i even have two not older hens but laying hens and no eggs must just be them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by