Silkies are still not laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Swissmiss989, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have 5 silkies about 6 months old. When will they start laying? Is it normal for silkies to take so long? My other chickens (not silkies) started around 4 months and my EEs started at 5. Am I expecting too much too soon?

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies are very slow to lay. Some don't lay till 10 months. Mine just started at 6 1/2 months. [​IMG]

3. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have Silkies, 5 hens and a roo and only one started laying at 6 months and then promptly went broody after 3 weeks of laying. We should have two chicks any day. Once I moved her out of the coop (she's in the house in a portable coop) another started to lay but that's it so far. I did read somewhere on here that sometimes Silkies don't lay atall??

4. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    I would be verry upset if mine didn't lay at all!

5. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    My polish pullet hasnt started laying and shes SEVEN months [​IMG] she is just lazy [​IMG] maybe soon she will:fl [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    My Silkies are 19-20wks. I have two of the three laying. Mine are hatchery stock, too. In about a week, I have gotten 5 or 6 eggs from the two girls.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My 7 month old Black Orpington isn't either! I keep telling her, "You are dual purpose. You can lay eggs or be eaten. Get the hint?"

... so far she doesn't.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Glad this question was asked becaue I have a silkie that hasn't layed yet, and also a polish bantam who isn't even showing the slightest signs of being interested in laying.......Now I know that it'll take a while......[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:I wish I could tell my silkies that but my 2 girls are not the sharpest tools in the shed lol. They (if they were duel purpose n if I was interested in eating them lol! I love my little dorks) would think I was fixing them dinner! I hope they lay soon I would love to hatch from them! This waiting game is for the dogs lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by