Silkies are still not laying!

Swissmiss989

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
I have 5 silkies about 6 months old. When will they start laying? Is it normal for silkies to take so long? My other chickens (not silkies) started around 4 months and my EEs started at 5. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Silkies are very slow to lay. Some don't lay till 10 months. Mine just started at 6 1/2 months.
smile.png

I have Silkies, 5 hens and a roo and only one started laying at 6 months and then promptly went broody after 3 weeks of laying. We should have two chicks any day. Once I moved her out of the coop (she's in the house in a portable coop) another started to lay but that's it so far. I did read somewhere on here that sometimes Silkies don't lay atall??

My 7 month old Black Orpington isn't either! I keep telling her, "You are dual purpose. You can lay eggs or be eaten. Get the hint?"

... so far she doesn't.

Glad this question was asked becaue I have a silkie that hasn't layed yet, and also a polish bantam who isn't even showing the slightest signs of being interested in laying.......Now I know that it'll take a while......
barnie.gif

gig.gif

Quote:
I wish I could tell my silkies that but my 2 girls are not the sharpest tools in the shed lol. They (if they were duel purpose n if I was interested in eating them lol! I love my little dorks) would think I was fixing them dinner! I hope they lay soon I would love to hatch from them! This waiting game is for the dogs lol!

Back
Top Bottom