Silkies Aren't Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VolailleAmant, Jan 28, 2017.

1. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Hello,
    I have, I believe 1 Silkie hen about 9 months old, the reason I say "I believe" is because I bought 4 and 3 were roosters and this one hasn't crowed yet, so my fingers are crossed!
    If she was a hen, she hasn't laid any eggs yet and I am just wondering, what age do Silkies start to lay?
    Thank you!

2. SilkieSanctuary

SilkieSanctuary Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2016
    Do you have a picture of her? I might be able to tell if she is a hen or not. Some bird take a while to start laying especially if they are not bread for production, and silkies aren't. Do you have her with the three roosters? How many hens and rooster do you have with her? She could be picked and over mated if she is the only hen with three roosters. If she is under too much stress then she will not lay. Do you have her on a good layer feed that is 16% and up protein? Does she have access to some sort of calcium supplement?-oyster shells, crushed eggs shells. If she is not stressed, on good layer feed, has extra calcium source, it is still normal that she is not laying yet. Depending on the breed lines of they silkie they can start laying anywhere from 6 months to 9 months. But some have can even begin laying at 5 months, and some not until 11 months. So there is no clear answer. Every chicken is different. Also, in the winter months they have less sun light, which means less of a chance they will start to lay soon. hope this helps! have fun with your silkies!

1 person likes this.
  3. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    I sold one of my roosters, so I have only 2 now. But, yes, she is kept with the other roosters, along with my 14 Isa's. I believe that I do have her on good feed. I with crumble and toss egg shells into their pen as well as some oyster shell. Thank you! I guess that time will certainly tell.....Hopefully. Either for the good or the bad, hopefully the good! [​IMG]
    -VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by