Silkies babies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by curtsey13, Aug 11, 2010.

1. curtsey13

curtsey13 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Pennington, NJ
    I need help telling if these two are roos or pullets!! Here are some pictures - I tried to get closer ones for their heads - - what do you think?? I have no idea how to sex silkies [​IMG] They are about 3 months old, so any help would be great!![​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    At this stage, if they have a round poof, you can feel pretty safe that they are pullets. If the poof is squared off, they might be cockerals. If they have longer feathers sticking out of the base of their neck (streamers), they are cockerals.
    Hope this helps.

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    White one looks like a pullet, black a roo-look at the tail differences. Good tips chickenmaven! Like they say "Until it crows or lays an egg you can't be 100% sure with silkies" lol

4. curtsey13

curtsey13 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Pennington, NJ
    Thanks so much for the advice.[​IMG] These two have me stumped, but they are two great birds with wonderful personalities, so I guess we will just wait and see!

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I am thinking that they are pullets. [​IMG]

6. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I have no ideal what they are - BUT I WANT to cuddle them, they are baby dolls . My husband and I are new at the chicken thing - we have 5 barren rock chicks about 6 weeks old and we love them. I have already told the DH - I am thinking about a pair of silkies .

7. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    both look like pullets to me [​IMG]

8. ellend

ellend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    Check legs VERY thoroughly for spur bumps. One of mine grew his spurs on the BACK of his legs; I didn't know until AFTER I temporarily locked the roo in the garage that the "pullet" in the coop was a pretender... It took a while for the hackle feathers to elongate on mine, and they had beautiful pouffs on their heads that looked round to me. We were "certain" by looks and behaviour that "the pretender" was a pullet. HA! I don't remember how old they were when they developed spur bumps. Anybody????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by