1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies, Black rooster white hen; what color will babies be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mikeshole, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mikeshole

Mikeshole Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    ?

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Depending on what colors are behind the 2 chickens, you can get black and whites, ir you could get black chickens with white , or white chickens with black
    those 2 colors are hard because black is dominant color and white hides any other color.

If chicken genetics are anything nearly as confusing as rabbit genetics you could have a white hen , hiding buff, splash, blues etc..
    Black could be covering up blues, chocolates, and any dilute color inbetween.
    do you know the parents behind you 2 chickens?

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    LOL what gypsy said in spades...

White is a masker of other colors beneath or "behind" it.
    Black is a masker of other colors "behind" it.

So you picked the ultimate crapshoot for a breeding. Partridge is a good bet. But almost anything is possible. Black is very likely.

And it does depend entirely on the background not apparent colors.

Good luck and I hope you get a rainbow [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

You may get any one of thousands of color combinations. Either way, crossing a white to a black will create a cross colored bird that will probably never breed true again. Unfortunately, crossing colors in chickens isn't like mixing paint, there is no sure way to predict the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  5. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Re: PouletsDeCajun
    Love your name. Very unique. Visited your website. Very nice - and your birds are lovely.
    (Apologize for the thread interruption).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by