Silkies breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HNB23, Mar 29, 2018.

1. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    So I hit the jackpot today at tractor supply!!!! 3 Japanese bantams (I lost 1 :(), wyandotte maybe?, 1 grey, 1 black and some white silkies. I was wondering what the grey ones were if it was also a black and the lighter one would be a white. First 2 are the ones I'm questioning and also the last one I believe to be a Wyandotte?

Attached Files:

2. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The last one has feathered legs so not a Wyandotte. Partridge Cochin maybe.

The first 2 look like silkies. One white, one black, or possibly dark blue.

3. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

I agree with keesmom. One is without question a Cochin. Congrats. They are awesome, the others are silkies. awesome for you. Though sorry about your loss.

4. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    Ok the first one looks different than the white ones I wasn't sure if the colors could range a little bit though. The third pic is one of the white ones. I didn't post a pic of my black one because it's just jet black no question there lol thanks

5. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Emu whisperer

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    Colors can vary one white and the first should be a white. The second will be a blue for sure. For hatchery silkies, the second and third have very nice feathering already on their legs and feet. Congrats!

6. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    My black one also has a lot of feathers on it's little legs. So there's different types? Or you mean hatcheries compared to a breeder who has better stock?

7. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Emu whisperer

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    I mean hatcheries aren't usually as good of stock. They tend to be less fluffy but the looks of those feet are promising. Would love be to see how they grow.

8. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    Sure thing ! I have some older bantams just found out they're red cochin and I have 1 in particular already has amazing leg feathers compared to the others. I thought maybe it just meant it was a roo or hen lol I've raised chickens, but I'm brand new to bantams so I'm really enjoying these little cuties! :D

FishMtFarm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: