1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies: Can I show these, breed them, or just keep as pets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Chickens, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Country Chickens

Country Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    I have been biten by the silkie bug, and would like to start building a flock toward showing them. I have a pair of whites (pullet and roo) and a black roo, and will be getting some chicks this coming week. I'm worried that the whites have vulture hocks, but the black looks good to me. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    This is a roo of unknown age

[​IMG]
    A pullet, not laying yet, also of unknown age

[​IMG]
    One of our guys, about six months and still working on his crow. He looks a little silver in the sun, but is actually a really deep black with green and purple shine.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the pullet breeed quality is the best the rooster i would call pet quailty
    u might get some ok babies out white pair but black one is not breed quailty

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. Country Chickens

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    Thanks for the help! I'm still trying to sort all this out. [​IMG] So, you don't think the white ones have vulture hocks? That's been something I was concerned about, and wouldn't want it showing up in the next generation when my new silkies are added to the mix. Also, are the roos non-breed quality cause they aren't poofy enough?

Thanks again! I really appreciate any advice I can get!

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think their gorgeous but Im a not a shower. Im still waiting on my silkie eggs to come and hatch! [​IMG]

Bumping you back to the top! Good luck! [​IMG]

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've never heard mention of vulture hocks being a concern in silkies, they don't have normal feathering and usually are so fluffy you wouldn't be able to tell even if it made a difference.

Unfortunately none are what would be considered show quality...BUT

White roo looks like a mature roo going through a molt (atleast to me) ... He is a bit odd shaped (really erect, but it may be he just crowed, ) but really streamline front for most silkies, but I think he'd still be a breeder, IF he has all 5 toes, and good foot feathering. the pullet same thing, how are the toes and feet? She seems to have good type, but a better picture of her with her head up would help determine a better idea of her type (the building block of a good bird) only thing I notice bad right off is she has alot of hard feathers in tail - she'd be breeder quality.

The black is beardless, not bearded, which beardless is accepted seperate to bearded. Never breed a bearded and beardless birds, you'll start lacking on the beards - which they should be thick and full and hide the very minimal wattle growth. The black I would say he is pet quality, but a better picture would be warranted.

7. Country Chickens

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    Thanks, Chicken Obsessed! I'm going to cross my fingers that my little black roo will fluff out better as he gets older...I really like the shiny green hues in his black coloring. But, it always worried me that he wasn't fluffier, so I'll keep him away from the hens unless he puts in a better showing of fluff.

Here's another pic of the two white silkies. The roo is still struting around, but at least not crowing in this one. We'd brought them home the night before after they'd had a long day at the state fair (I don't think they were shown--just there to be purchased) and he was feeling protective.

[​IMG]

I'm excited that maybe the pullet is breedable. It's always easier to come by roos then hens! Either way, I just love these silkies! So sweet and so fun!

Oh! And, btw, they do all three have five toes (and only five toes) with good feathering on their feet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Country, I still really like the hen, I'm still thinking shes a breeder quality.

What state are you located in? I know a few breeders who sell at a decent price in a few states, and if any are local enough to you, I will point you in the right direction. [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I've never heard mention of vulture hocks being a concern in silkies, they don't have normal feathering and usually are so fluffy you wouldn't be able to tell even if it made a difference.

Unfortunately none are what would be considered show quality...BUT

White roo looks like a mature roo going through a molt (atleast to me) ... He is a bit odd shaped (really erect, but it may be he just crowed, ) but really streamline front for most silkies, but I think he'd still be a breeder, IF he has all 5 toes, and good foot feathering. the pullet same thing, how are the toes and feet? She seems to have good type, but a better picture of her with her head up would help determine a better idea of her type (the building block of a good bird) only thing I notice bad right off is she has alot of hard feathers in tail - she'd be breeder quality.

The black is beardless, not bearded, which beardless is accepted seperate to bearded. Never breed a bearded and beardless birds, you'll start lacking on the beards - which they should be thick and full and hide the very minimal wattle growth. The black I would say he is pet quality, but a better picture would be warranted.

Vulture hocks are a DQ in all feather footed breeds except d'uccles & booted bantams. The pullet is the best of the three by a long shot. If you want to breed or show, get a different white cock/cockerel.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x2

The white rooster is beautiful, but I really don't care much for the black one.

Your white roo looks like my buff silkie roo [​IMG] He's 1 year old or a little over. He's such a sweetie!

ETA: Looks like he needs a bath though [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by