Silkies: Cockerel or pullets??

I think they are both pullets... Nice rounded crests and no appearance of streamers. Silkies are very hard to sex though, so they may end up being cockerels after all. But I hope not!

I learned the hard way, it was really funny! Purchased one white and one blue silkie (supposedly pullets). The white one grew the fluffy cotton ball head but the blue one did not. Duh, I didn't even get a clue when it started growing a comb with tufts of blue feathers coming out behind the comb. I thought, being a novice with chickens, that it was just a genetic thing! I also noticed the tail feathers displayed themselves differently. Then one day, I thought I heard a "cat" in the enclosure.............well, you can imagine my surprise when I saw HIM flapping his little blue wings and squeaking out his first crows! Now, with everything explained, he really is quite attractive and being the only "Roo" among 9 large ladies and the one little white silkie, he really takes his position seriously and struts around taking care of everyone! It is hilarious!

Thank you again for the guesses, i was out there for 1 hour looking and playing with them , I think the white one is a pullet the Splash am 75% sure its a pullet LOL. I guess time will tell
Ayda

I've had Silkies before and it is very hard to tell the gender; you have to pat attention to every detail. I would say that the white is a pullet and the splash is a cockerel.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom