Silkies: Cockerel or pullets??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wyogirl, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    #1 the White one
    [​IMG]
    #2 the Splash
    [​IMG]
    Or do I need better pictures??
    Thanks
    Ayda

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If they are nearly full grown, I would say pullets. They are cute.

3. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Almost 3 months old, I sure hope they are!!
    Thanks
    Ayda

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think they are both pullets... Nice rounded crests and no appearance of streamers. Silkies are very hard to sex though, so they may end up being cockerels after all. But I hope not!

5. Leslie Standen

Leslie Standen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    I learned the hard way, it was really funny! Purchased one white and one blue silkie (supposedly pullets). The white one grew the fluffy cotton ball head but the blue one did not. Duh, I didn't even get a clue when it started growing a comb with tufts of blue feathers coming out behind the comb. I thought, being a novice with chickens, that it was just a genetic thing! I also noticed the tail feathers displayed themselves differently. Then one day, I thought I heard a "cat" in the enclosure.............well, you can imagine my surprise when I saw HIM flapping his little blue wings and squeaking out his first crows! Now, with everything explained, he really is quite attractive and being the only "Roo" among 9 large ladies and the one little white silkie, he really takes his position seriously and struts around taking care of everyone! It is hilarious!

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i want to say the splash is a cockerel its creast looks sweapt back to me :/ again these are just guesses

7. ya id say pullets too but im not the best gender teller

8. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thank you again for the guesses, i was out there for 1 hour looking and playing with them , I think the white one is a pullet the Splash am 75% sure its a pullet LOL. I guess time will tell
    Ayda

9. I've had Silkies before and it is very hard to tell the gender; you have to pat attention to every detail. I would say that the white is a pullet and the splash is a cockerel.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by