Silkies cold hardy?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Summer98, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Can silkies handle cold winters? Are they hard to keep clean free-range?

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:silkies should not be free ranged they get lost too easy
    and they do ok in a draft free barn

3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I live in Minnesota and my Silkies have done just fine in the winter. They lived in a non heated, non insulated barn.

4. Tommy_poultry

Tommy_poultry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Glasgow

do they really get lost?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I don't free range my silkies. They have covered runs, just because of hawks, etc.

They do fine in the winter. I consolidate the pens in the winter so the birds have eachothers body heat to keep them warm. They go out everyday in the winter unless were getting a blizzard or freezing rain/sleet.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My silkies who range tend to stay cleaner and more mite/lice free than those who are penned. However, their feathers do get more worn and sun damaged.

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    personally, our silkies are too stupid to make it in the real world, and to be even more specific, most of them cannot live in a cage that's big enough holes for them to get their head through. Simpily, if not for my wife thinking they are cute, and they're incubator ability... they would not be around.

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City

do they really get lost?

My silkies are free ranged with the rest of my chickens. I really don't know where someone is getting their helpless stupid silkies who get lost, but mine are just fine. If anything a bit smarter than my others, I've lost 5 chickens to predators so far and my silkies have been safe and sound everytime. I worry a little about hawks, but just because they are smaller and easier/ not because they are stupid.
    They went outside last december when they were about 6 weeks old. It gets and stays below 0 in the winter here pretty often, and they did great.
    ETA- When I go lock up the girls for the night I usually have to put a few stupid chickens inside who couldn't find their way to the door. These are usually my wyandottes, delaware mixes, or barred rock. My silkies have never not found their way to bed.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  9. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    My silkies free range and they return every night to the coop I've never had one get lost.

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    my freind has lost some her best show silkies do to free rangeing them they get lost in the tall grass and are never seen agaain or bfound dead weeks later

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by