Silkies-cold resistant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MonkeyZero, Oct 18, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    SO sorry for posting like a maniac, I just want the best for my silkies lol

Well
    If it gets really cold here in like 20 F, will they be fine outside without any heat lamps, and insulation in the coop?
    I just cover up the front, really good, and have a tarp over the coop
    SHould they fine?
    [​IMG]

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If they are full grown and have protection from the weather they will be fine in Modesto.

3. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Yes
    They will have protection
    I cover up the front of the coop(my coop just so you get the idea-- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=225888 )
    I also have on top of the coop to prevent it from rotting if rain/water fall onto it...
    The wind cant get into the coop, but there are a few ventilation openings for em
    [​IMG]

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Ummm, if you only have 2 Silkies, you need either more Silkies (they huddle together for warmth) or a heat lamp. I use one here in MD and I have 5-6 per pen. [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My silkies did just fine last winter when it got into the teens. No heat added. I did have 6 though in a 4x4 hutch.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:The number of birds and the amount of space make a difference. 6 birds in a 20x20 might well get too cold as their body heat will not reflect back off the walls and keep the coop warmer. 6 birds in a 2x2 might get too warm.

If they are full grown, stay dry & are in a reasonably sized coop they should be fine. Dry is very important.

7. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    My coop is i think 3 ft on all sides
    [​IMG]

8. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Should I get one more hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by