Silkies dying randamly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flcoykendall, Feb 10, 2013.

1. flcoykendall

flcoykendall New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Florida
    Hi
    I have had 5 total silkies die in the last 10 days. Their is nothing apparently wrong with them. They are heavy so not eating is out, no sneezing, weezing, mucous or coughing, it has been relatively warm(above 50 degrees) they are completely in tact nothing bitten or bleeding. Anyone have any ideas what this might be?
    Thanks
    Caroline

2. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Runny poop? or dried stuck to their butts?

3. flcoykendall

flcoykendall New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Florida
    No runny poo or poop stuck to butt. They appear very healthy.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Hi Caroline, welcome to BYC. If you live in the states, there are many that do free necropsies on backyard flocks.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

6. flcoykendall

flcoykendall New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Florida
    I have other chickens, geese, ducks but none of them are affected. It has not affected egg production either. I use the same feed for all my chickens which is organic and soy free. (I get it from countryacres organic. I have lost 4 juvenal hens (6-8 months old) and 1 mature rooster 2 years old. I have hatched them all myself. They have a 10x10 run with a huge henhouse in it for the silkies. I let them out frequently when I am out watching them because of hawks. I don't use any pesticides and my fence is a double fence so they can even reach through to the neighbors yard. I will find out about the necropsy. Thanks for all of your input!

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That's a tough one. Especially when all your birds are hatched by you. I think the necropsy is your answer.

8. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Good suggestion. With the drought this year, there is a possibility of moldy/rotten feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by