silkies eyes crusted shut HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelck22, Nov 22, 2013.

1. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Went to let them out of the coop this morning. Her eyes are shut and her mouth is open. No nose discharge. What do I do?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would treat for respitory illness. Does she have a bad smell about her? A very good choice for respitory illness is Tylan50. Dose for a silkie would be 1/4 cc given into the breast muscle once daily for five days. you can get the tylan 50 at the feed store along with the syringes. You can along with the tylan50 clean her eyes and put collidal silver drops into them. you can get the silver at any health food store and you will want the silver to have at least 500 parts per million of silver. The silver will act as a anticeptic and has some antibotic properties to it.it should help with her eyes.of course bring her inside and seprate from the flock. I hope this helps. If she has a virus the antibotics won't kill the virus but should still be given to prevent secondary infection. I would start treatments with the tylan50 as soon as possible. The injectable in this case will be better than a water soluable antibotic because it gets into the blood stream faster and dose is more consistant. Water soluable dose is dependant on amount drank and sometimes when they are ill they are not drinking enough to get the proper dose. So I would use the injectable tylan50. Do NOT worry that the bottle says for cattle and swine. Many poultry owners including myself successfully treat with tylan. It is the antibotic tylosin and is specifically geared toward respitory illness. Hope this helps you out and wish you The best. Also if her eyes have pus you might need to gently clean it out then apply the silver. Best wishes.

3. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    No bad smell. Her eyes have a small line of white/yellow stuff where they are closed. She seems to have to try hard to breath.

She is the only one sick and I have not recently brought in any new birds.

She was with a bird that died of blackhead.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does her poop look 100% normal? Age? How much does she weigh?

-Kathy

5. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    I have her seperated now, no odd looking poo in the coop. She is about 6 months, not sure on weight.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Might be a good idea to get a baseline weight on her.

-Kathy

7. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Just checked on her. Eyes are open and look fine. Her chest heaves every time she breathes, no rattling noises

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by