Silkies finally started laying, then abruptly stopped a week later. That was three months ago... Any

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SleepyHollowFnF, Mar 4, 2017.

1. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

A few of our silkies, possibly all 3 of our naked neck girls started laying, but almost immediately stopped. Their conditions haven't changed, they have plenty of food, water, and heat. But for some reason the girls just stopped. Still waiting on most of the silkies to start...

We got 8 eggs, 4 hatched, one died in a brooder malfunction, the other three are happy and healthy.

Any ideas on how to encourage egg production to resume?

Thanks all!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It should resume here in the next month or two. Most bantams are sporadic layers who go broody often.

3. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

Alright. So it's good to know it isn't likely a health problem. They stopped laying in early december. Do you suspect the winter is to blame? I have several heat lamps and it is quite warm in the coop, but they are exposed to cold when they wander around the enclosure during the day.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I never provided extra heat to my silkies and they did fine without it. We can get into the -20 Fahrenheit in winter. Most of my bantam hens quit last fall with an egg here and there over winter. They haven't started ramping up quite yet, but are about to. Mine will hit peak production in April thru July. I think yours will start laying here soon. The amount of daylight is what triggers it. Though if you are running heat lamps than the lights will mess them up so you might want to shut them off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by