Silkie's first egg here!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Silkie-Guinz, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Silkie-Guinz

Silkie-Guinz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Virginia
    We have a two year old white silkie that we named Queen, and she laid an egg a few days ago, but she laid it on the ground and it broke from falling and hitting the ground.

So since then I've put some golfballs in the nest boxes for her, and every morning when I would go out, I would show her them, she even got in a few of them and started making a nest, but none of those were good enough for her because after a minute or two she would get up.

Then she found her favorite nest, a nest right in front of one of the side door's that open to get eggs out. She made that nest a day or so ago. She hasn't laid in a few days, so I was carefully watching her.

This morning I took and put her up at the nest boxes, and she like always went to her favorite and laid down, moving around until she was comfortable. I waited a few minutes, but she didn't get out so me being curious opened the door to check on her. She was sideways in the nest looking tense, and she was looking at me. I was being quiet, and I heard soft grunting so I kept watching. Then she stood up, and under her was the most perfect little egg I've ever seen! [​IMG]

So I started telling her what a good girl she was, and she moved out of the way so I took the egg and shut the door, and on my way out told her thank you.

I took the egg inside, showed my family, then started a photo shoot with the egg. lol. The egg is a off-white almost pinkish looking egg, and is really cute! [​IMG] It's not her first ever egg, but it's our first egg that we got, other the one that broke. So I'm happy. [​IMG] It also seems that her laying the egg has made her more friendly. This afternoon, after she laid it, she was outside of the coop, and she saw me and my mom coming and she came running up so my Mom picked her up and Queen just let my Mom hold her. I have noticed she has also started stomping at me too if I startle her. lol. [​IMG]

Here's the egg on our table.
    [​IMG]

Here's the egg in my hand.
    [​IMG]

And here's the egg with some props.
    [​IMG]

And here's the beautiful silkie, Queen, who's in the nest she laid it in. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the left is a store bought egg, on the right is Queen's egg.
    [​IMG]

The above picture doesn't do her any justice, so here's a better picture took a few days ago.
    [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

BEAUTIFUL Egg!!! [​IMG]

(Oh and adorable silkie!) [​IMG]

3. Silkie-Guinz

Silkie-Guinz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Virginia
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

[​IMG]

BEAUTIFUL Egg!!! [​IMG]

(Oh and adorable silkie!) [​IMG]

Thank you. [​IMG] Yes she is really adorable, but if you're up close to her she looks a bit.... freaky with that purple face of her's. [​IMG] lol. But I love her eyes, though. So pretty. [​IMG]

4. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Oh, I love those eggs from Silkies! Congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by