Silkies for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Weasleysflock, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Weasleysflock

Weasleysflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Conshocken, PA
    My family loved silkies...(in Chinese, it is translated as "dark chicken"). I did not realize that the delectable, flavorful meat came from such a adorable bird. My mother ordered some silkies from McMurray. Should I keep one (a blue one) for a pet? [​IMG]

2. WVman

WVman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    Yes you should keep them all as pets they are great loving chickens they make great pets....lol

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you might want to keep 2, but yes they are a good eating bird if you can get past the color and the pet aspect, I don't have enough to eat, some oriental markets sell them at a premium price

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I suspect silkies are the bird the industry was talking about when they announced an amazing 'discovery', a secret breed of chicken with an incredibly high ability to produce Omega 3 fatty acids. There are lots of reasons to suspect this, not least that Chinese people have used silkies in traditional medicine for centuries... Food for thought anyway!

Good luck with both meat and pets. No reason why the odd sacrifice (e.g. cockerels) can't make having silkie pets all the more pleasurable (and maybe healthy too). [​IMG]

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    They are still kept as pets in China and here are called the lap dogs of chickens for their awesome, calm nature. I just sold one because she turned into a he and he was so calm and sweet, would sit in my lap and fall asleep while I preened his head feathers! Plus! He made the MOST ADORABLE cooing sounds!

6. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I heard they make a great stew. But I'm more for the pet aspect of it. Not to mention the silkie hens lay the most adorable little eggs.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've tried Silkie before. . . At 4-5 months of age, very nice tender meat with great flavor! [​IMG]

The thing is, though, unless you're used to skinny birds - Expect such with most Silkies. They aren't bred for meat in the US, so most of the meat comes in later in life when they're just good for stewing. I'm not a stew fan though.

8. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I know they have LF Silkies in the UK. I've wondered if the Silkies being raised for eating are LF or if they are also bantams.

9. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    They stew well. Mom just let them simmer for hours... 8-12 and it was the best ever!!!

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    FYI, last year frozen silkie was ten bucks a pound at the asian market.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by