Silkies found dead wedged under the coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Maggiehc, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Maggiehc

Maggiehc New Egg

Sep 1, 2012
    Tonight I came home a little after dark and found three out of four of my Silkies dead. All of them had no apparent marks on them but all were found with their heads wedged (stuffed?) under the coop. Two were together and the third was on the other side of the coop. Does this sound like weasel behavior? Something else? Sickness?

We have other birds but these guys were the "pets" of our flock and it was so shocking to find so many dead.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Did the predator get in under the coop? Sounds like it was trying to drag them away. If the opening is very small,a weasel is likely. It is very sad and frustrating to loose birds like that.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    it sounds like a predator
    , maybe a cat, maybe a weasel. It may have chased them around and they were trying to get away..its hard to know exactly what happened with a closer examination, silkies are reputed to be defenseless. Sorry for the loss.

4. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    I had bantam Cochins several years ago that I was color breeding and the same thing happened. Their heads were pulled under a small chicken house. I was able to lift and move the chicken house and found a weasel sleeping there. That weasel then slept forever. My experience with weasels is that they do not go far from the food. It has to be caught or all chickens will soon be dead.

5. Maggiehc

Maggiehc New Egg

Sep 1, 2012
    Thanks for the help. We did look under the coop and it looks like maybe there has been some digging there but alas didn't catch the culprit there. We're on high alert protecting the rest of our flock and I'm going to put out a liver baited trap tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by