Silkies Free Roaming

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cynthia 085, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    HI :)

I did read a couple of articles here about the dangers of keeping chickens free roaming and what were some ways to help them feel secure around the yard (such as giving them safe hiding spots and places).

Can I have my Silkies free roaming or is this too much of an issue? I live in the city so I am not sure if there are any Hawks around here; there might be.

Do you guys know how to trim the silkies cress? I think this would be a good idea as they are probably going to be free roaming. Not all the time just when I can probably watch them. I am not sure on that whole free roaming thing or not.

Thanks
    Cynthia

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It really depends on where you live, and the types of predators that you have. some people use those little elastic band hair things ( the ones for children's braids) to tie up the topknots, especially on show birds, this can work but you have to be careful no to pull it to tight. another option is to trim it entirely ( it can look pretty rude) so its like a buzz cut, or just trim the sides so it ends up kinda Mohawk like ( I do this to my girls) . If your in the city then roaming cats and dogs are most likely to be a problem. I live in the city outckirts and mine free range with no problems

1 person likes this.
  3. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    i personally wouldnt freerange a silkie in general because of what ive heard lol ppl say there so stupid they'll just go up to a dog ;-;

4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    If they are just in a fenced in yard with you keeping an eye, I wouldn't see why not! Wuold I let Silkies roam in a large country setting like mine? No. These are not free range kind of birds, they were bred to be sweet and cuddly for humans, not take care of themselves. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  5. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    Monroe, GA
    My Coop
    I gave up trying to get my Silkie to free-range. All of the other hens pretty much stay in my yard. Not the Silkie. I'll see her standing in the road. She'll wander into the neighbor's property. She's liable to not run if a neighborhood dog walks into the yard.

Fortunately silkies don't fly. I put a small fence around the coop and run. Some of then hens are content in this little yard, others fly over the fence. And it keeps the Silkie safe.

1 person likes this.
  6. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Mine have a huge fenced yard that they share with the dog. Yes they can be stupid, but so can we. Just like they can be very intelligent

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Thanks guys for all of your feedback. I greatly appreciate it!

I guess I will have to keep an eye on them. That is no issue I love my birds.

I would not say they are stupid [​IMG]. They are a bit off minded, but their nature is to be nice.

Out of the 3 I have, only one is alert and hides with any bird or strong sound/noise. The rest just kinda stay there, but not all are absent minded.

The reason I was asking about their little mohawk is because this one in particular needs to have her crest small as she is very attentive over any sound. For her well being and nature I believe giving her a mohawk is my best option.

Thanks again guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by