Silkies......genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mcleveland, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mcleveland

mcleveland Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Hi All....
    This is my first time raising Silkies (OMGosh! I love them!!) They are 15 weeks old, and I am having a hard time deciphering their gender(s). I'm sure there are some Silkie-experts here, would you mind taking a look-see? If you need more pics, let me know!

Thanks in Advance!!

FYI: Same bird (Left to Right) in each pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to sex. But as of now, I don't see anything screaming rooster.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

4. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Thank you so much! Although, I am holding out for at least one rooster [​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That bearded black bird might end up being your boy. I don't raise non-beardeds, but I know large combs and wattles are normal for them. Bearding suppresses combs and wattles, so they should be small, even on the boys. With mine, males usually start out with wide combs and pullets are narrow. It doesn't always work out that way, but I pretty much always assume that my chicks with wider combs are boys (and they usually are). If they turn out to be girls, then I just count it as a happy surprise, but that normally doesn't happen.

6. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Oh I hope so! [​IMG] That one, my daughter claimed when we got them as day old chicks. She's since named "him" Arnold. Ha! So, fingers crossed that's our boy! Thank you!!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like pullets to me (for now), except possibly the black one.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I am getting good at this because I thought the black one looked suspicious too![​IMG][​IMG]

9. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia

My daughter's 13th birthday is next Wednesday. And boy, oh boy she is SOOOOOOO hoping her black silkie is a guy!!! She says that would be an awesome bd gift [​IMG]

10. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Ok, so if the black one is a Roo and the others (or at least one) is a Hen, and if we have silkie eggs to hatch out, they would be Blue??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by