Silkies - gray vs self blue

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fancbrd4me02, Jan 9, 2010.

1. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I am not a silkie person, but I noticed that gray is an accepted color of silkie and that some people have lavender (self blue) silkies. In pictures the color looks similar. How do you tell? Anyone have pics of both for compairison? Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I don't have pics, but they are not the same, The color Grey in Silkies, I believe, is really just the birchin color, but really distorted from the silkied featheres, the the Self Blue is the recessive Lav. color. The Self blue should be lighter and a fairly even shade throughout.

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Lavender is a Solid Color throughout the body, and Grey has different Shades (like a Partridge chicken.)

4. PremierSilkies

PremierSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

Elana Gray Hen

[​IMG]

Violet Lav Hen

C

5. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Thats some very nice silkies Premier. I raised Self Blue OE for years and its one of the prettiest colors there is. I hope they accept the Lavender silkie into the standard this year. They are talking about a qualifying meet this year so maybe it will happen.

Donald

6. PremierSilkies

PremierSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    Yes the Lav's are due.
    Jim Salle who judged the 08 Silkie Nationals in OK said they were receptive in the APA for that to happen.
    I have seen there progress since the 06 Nationals and I think they are more than ready. Great progress from the ladies, oops and gentlemen in TX.
    C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by