Silkies hatching fertile eggs that were donated to me....three broke..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by weesy68, Aug 11, 2010.

1. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    I took pity on my super broody silkies and got them some fertile eggs to hatch frm another farm. The lady at the farm thought the eggs were around a week old. In the last two days I found three of the eggs broken and drained, they smelled bad. They had some blood in them, so were beginning to develop but seem to have turned bad. Would the silkies themselves sense this and have pecked the eggs open? They obviously hadn't burst, just had a hole in one end. I have four eggs left, so fingers crossed these ones will survive.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They could have stepped on them and poked a hole in them with a nail. I haven't ever had a Silkie do this, but my Aussies have.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If there was 'blood' in them, they may NOT have been fertile at all, actually, especially if they smelled bad on top of that. Sometimes eggs will develop a 'blood ring' of bacteria. Hens often, for whatever reason, know there are bad eggs and will kick them out of the nest or otherwise get rid of them (yes, pecking them open included!).

4. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    Interesting, this is my first hatch ever, so I just assumed blood meant a chick. Thanks for the info!

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    A blood ring usually indicates that the chick started to form and for some reason it died. A tiny speck of blood is sometimes found in the egg, but I would say yes, the eggs were fertile if they had blood in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by