Silkies - Have YOU eaten one?

alabamachick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
Alabama
I know they are a delicacy overseas, but have any of you eaten your silkies??

I couldnt even eat a CornishX I got by accident when I bought my first chicks at TSC last year... let alone my Silkie Roo.

BUT, an inquiring mind would like to know, what does it taste like? Is it different than regular chicken?

I feel like here in the states they are a purely ornamental breed, but in China, people eat them all the time. I found a picture of one processed and packaged just like any other chicken would be in the grocery store!

Just wondering.

Last edited:
another member Purple chicken.. he has... says they taste like... chicken...lol

Yes. I'm really, really against waste.
smile.png

He tasted slightly more... iodiney? Not sure how to put it. The meat had a richer feel to it than ordinary chicken. Good flavour overall, fine texture. He made a lovely rich casserole.

Recently scientists announced that one breed of chicken is extremely good at converting other fatty acids to omega-3, and therefore its meat (and presumably eggs) are high in the good oil. I suspect they were talking about silkies (the darker meat of a bird, e.g. thighs, is usually the highest in omega-3... Silkie meat is incredibly dark).

Just some thoughts.

smile.png

Erica

I plan to try it myself. at chicken swaps here (and from what my mom says in her area too) many asian people will pay $10 no matter the age for a silkie. Local Asian grocery stores sell them for about $9 frozen also.
I couldn't find the article but years ago I read they are particularly healthful for women, esp during menstrual cycle and post-partum. Other health benefits have been attributed to them as well..
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/280962/what_is_a_black_chicken_the_new_superfood.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060914153621.htm

I can understand the more "iodine-y" taste...the meat is so dark.

I just cant imgaine plucking a silkie...it would be like puling hair off... lol. But, I almost want to try one. In a weird way, I want to know what they taste like, just dont want to eat Hott Fuzz (my Roo).

Quote:
Most Asians do care about age.They will really do a thorough lookover of the bird.Make sure its fat no mites small spurs(for roos) and all 5 toes. They really do scrutinize the birds.They believe in the medicinal properties of the bird.The Black skin and extra toe.Not all Asians even know what a silkie is,however.Such as you're Vietnamese community.North Vietnamese do and most South Viets don't.Majority of my customers are Vietnamese.I sell lots of Silkies.(just recently got them buying colors too,they were buying me out of whites.) One local fisherman had never even seen a Silkie.They won't have anything to do with Showgirls,because of the 'missing hair'... My hubby has been talking about cooking one just to see. I don't like dark meat,so I think I'll sit this one out.

Quote:
Hi Alabamchick,

Have you tried your Silkie Roo yet? I am Asian and in my home country, Silkie are used to make soup especially for women. We believe it is good for recovering from health condition and after giving birth. Women have soup made of silkies regularly when breastfeeding.

It is interesting to read your topic as my son just asked me that where we can get silkies to make soup a few day ago:). We didn't have it for a very long time (since we moved to USA 5 years ago). I guess he missed it.

Vanessa

Last edited:
Hey hhong. Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

What is the black silkie soup recipe like? Is it like what we would think of as chicken soup in the United States?

Quote:
Hi Alabamchick,

Have you tried your Silkie Roo yet? I am Asian and in my home country, Silkie are used to make soup especial for women. We believe it is good for recovering from health condition and after giving birth. Women have soup made of silkies regularly when breastfeeding.

It is interesting to read your topic as my son just asked me where we can get silkies to make soup a few day ago:). We didn't have it for a very long time since we moved to USA 5 years ago. I guess he missed it.

Vanessa

Ohhhh no, I dont plan on ever eating my own Roo. I wouldnt be against eating Silkie, I just prefer not to eat my OWN chickens. They are our pets that give us breakfast, they wont become food.

Very interesting about it helping after birth and while breastfeeding... I might need to look in to that some more.

How is the soup made? Whats in it? Other than the silkie of course.

Back
Top Bottom