Silkies Having Intelligence Issues

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Deerling, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Actually, I just have no idea what exactly they are having issues with. We have a small coop/run (a premade one) similar to the little one they sell at Costal. I couldn't find a picture online but I can get one tomorrow. Anyway, it's the kind where there's a little enclosed area with a window in the top corner, and it has an opening with a ramp down into an enclosed "run" that is both to the side and under the sleeping area. I really don't like it, but it was bought as a temporary measure so we could have a few chickens with us in the suburbs while we buy a house. Our other chickens and big lovely coop my husband built are at a friend's farm about an hour north.

Anyhow, we had one silkie and two LF girls in there for a while and they had absolutely no problem putting themselves to bed and getting down in the morning. My sweet hen Kiki and the silkie were killed while outside the coop, and the third went to live with all our other LF. We recently bought three silkie pullets, about six months old. We've had them a few weeks now. They seem very healthy and are eating and drinking well. The woman I bought them from was very well informed about all the chicken diseases and the silkies are really lovely. However they just don't seem to get it. Two of them will come down in the morning by themselves now, but the third just stands at the little window until one of us goes out to help her through the prop door and down the ramp. And none of them go up at night, they huddle up in the run until we go out and pop them up through the door. I'm a little tired of it, but mostly I just can't figure out what their issue is. I've gone out around dusk to help them up the ramp and they still don't learn.

They don't seem to have too much fluff in their eyes to see, which is one of the things I thought of. Any suggestions would be great! It isn't really a big deal, they'll have a nicer coop and a helpful silkie rooster to look out for them once we move, but I've started referring to our other girls as "real chickens" because these girls just don't quite seem to be, which was not my previous experience with silkies.

2. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    I have trained mine to go up their ramp by placing meal worms on each rung of their ladder. I did this two days in a row so they could gain a bit of confidence getting up and down. Now they are not scared and are always up and down just checking there are no meal worms about :)

3. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    That is a great idea! I will try that :) Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by