Silkies Hen or Rooster?

lizanne

Songster
11 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Citrus Heights, Ca
I have two silkies that I was told were hens....

The first one I'm pretty sure is a hen.

Poof : 16 weeks

Poof

The other (JC) Is starting to act a little like a rooster. More chest bumping and fighting, but her comb doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, and I don't know what else to look for.

JC 14 weeks

JC

JC

Her head puff is a little sticky from going crazy eating watermelon

The first one-- poor thing -- is dumb as a brink... she's super sweet, and just kind of wanders around. Sometimes, she even walks into things. The second is more aggresive, and doesn't like to be held or touched, at all. Poof is about 16 weeks, if she was a roo, wouldn't she be getting waddles, or crowing by now? I had four silkies that I had to re-home about a month ago because they were all roosters. By 14 weeks they had huge waddles and combs, and they all started crowing at about 15 weeks.

The first one--  poor thing -- is dumb as a brink...  she's super sweet, and just kind of wanders around.  Sometimes, she even walks into things.  The second is more aggresive, and doesn't like to be held or touched, at all.  Poof is about 16 weeks, if she was a roo, wouldn't she be getting waddles, or crowing by now?  I had four silkies that I had to re-home about a month ago because they were all roosters.  By 14 weeks they had huge waddles and combs, and they all started crowing at about 15 weeks.
I have a harder time sexing pet silkies. They all have swept back crests and long legs it seems :idunno

They just don't look like any hen I've ever come across. My young pullets have crests bigger at 8 weeks old.

They both have watermelon juice in their crests. I also had a little situation with Poof a couple days ago. She some how got into a rat sticky trap, and had the sticky stuff all over. I had to give her a bath. First with olive oil (to get the sticky stuff off) and then with soap (to get the olive oil off). I don't think all the oil got washed out of her crest. I'll try to wash them up and take another pic. Maybe that will help.

Poof after her bath....

They both have watermelon juice in their crests.  I also had a little situation with Poof a couple days ago.  She some how got into a rat sticky trap, and had the sticky stuff all over.  I had to give her a bath.  First with olive oil (to get the sticky stuff off) and then with soap (to get the olive oil off).  I don't think all the oil got washed out of her crest.  I'll try to wash them up and take another pic.  Maybe that will help.

Poof after her bath....

These pictures only make me more certain that 'she' is actually a 'he' the stance alone is very boy...

Back
Top Bottom