Silkies Hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickschool, Apr 15, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I have two very friendly silkie hens and want to breed one of them. Will it be ok to let them stay in the same coop while the one is sitting on a nest? Will the other hen try to take over?

2. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I have one Silkie roo and five Silkie hens in one coop. I've had one or two broodies in that coop and none of the other hens bothered the broody hens. I would think they'll be OK in the same coop. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Is the two all you have? Any other chickens will lay behind her and push the eggs under her, so mark the ones you set, check them daily and remove the unmarked ones. But they should be fine together.

4. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Yes, I only have the two right now. I have 10 six week old chicks (not silkies) which will be housed in a different coop. Because she is already broody but only a year old I thought I would have her set on some eggs from a friends farm and if all goes well pair her up with a silkie roo. Will this make the other hen go broody?

5. debilorrah

Quote:Honey you are talking about silkies. The dumbest and most broody animal on the planet. So the answer is the bird will probably go broody on it's own.

6. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    BYW, I was reading a different post where you spoke about your rooster that seemed to think he's a duck...I laughed so hard I cried.

7. debilorrah

Quote:No he doesn't think he is a duck. Ducks swim. He just stands there up to his neck in water. Dummy!

8. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Great! I just got 2 ducks for the first time ever, totally awesome but WOW are they messy, so does that mean my hens are going to start standing in the water? It's kind of funny though. I've never thought of them being so brainless. In fact I've "dog whispered" mine. When I go to put them in the coop I will tell them to "sit" and they immediately squat down and wait for me to pick them up. [​IMG] I also leash trained the rooster. Maybe the fact that they do these very strange things just goes to prove how odd they are. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

Quote:Silkies are very docile. Because they are too stupid to do anything else!!! [​IMG] He was my only silkie at the time, but none of my other breeds go in the pond. DuckLINGS are messy, the grown ducks have much better manners.

10. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Thank goodness. They are almost 5 weeks old and hilarious! One white crested and one chocolate runner. They don't ever wander more than an inch from one another and we are really looking forward to see what will happen as they get older. Thanks for all your great advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by