Silkies - How many hens per rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SGAFFNEY, Sep 25, 2015.

1. SGAFFNEY

SGAFFNEY New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    Webster, WI
    I have 4 - five month old silkies. I have two roosters and one hen for sure. I am unsure as to whether the other one is a hen or rooster because it doesn't crow yet and the others do.

I'm worried as to what will happen if I have 3 roosters to one hen, or even 2 roosters to 2 hens.

I plan on getting more newborn silkies in the spring, however, will my 1 hen be ok over the winter if all the others are roosters?

I don't see her being picked on yet, but she seems lonely.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They will be overbred. With most breeds, rule of thumb is 1 cock per 10 hens. Heavy breeds closer to 8 per, light breeds 12 per.

ETA
    Is that a sauger or walleye in your avatar?
    Nice!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  3. SGAFFNEY

SGAFFNEY New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    Webster, WI
    Walleye - thanks! Any idea when the breeding begins? I don't know if it matters that they are bantam silkies or not. They are 5 months old and I wasn't planning on getting more until spring.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    they're slow to mature so perhaps 6 months or more. I've only been around mature silkies
    it seems like cockerels mature a bit before the pullets.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the above post. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by