Silkies - How to tell black from blue?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by racuda, Nov 24, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have some Silkies that are either dark blue or black. Other than test matings, is there a way to tell the difference?

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:I always wondered this too but the only 100% way to tell the difference is with test breedings..... Some blues even have the green sheen and there are some dull blacks. I always wondered can you show a really dark blue as black? Would the judge be able to tell and maybe dq the bird?

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I always wondered this too but the only 100% way to tell the difference is with test breedings..... Some blues even have the green sheen and there are some dull blacks. I always wondered can you show a really dark blue as black? Would the judge be able to tell and maybe dq the bird?

As far as showing a dark blue as black, I'm not sure, but I would imagine that a dark blue would more closely resemble a "bad black" rather than an outstanding good black.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If the brd is obviously blue, some judges will correct the markings on the card and judge it as a blue, others will judge it as a black and others will DQ it as not being black.

5. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    What class would you put a borderline black or blue bird in? Would an off black do well in a blue class even though an off black wouldn't do well in a black class?

Oh and what about black sports? Does anyone have pictures of black sports or showed them?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by