silkies how to trim so they can see

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txmel, May 29, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i have 2 silkies that are about 13 weeks or so. they seem to have trouble seeing enough to maneuver the ramp in and out of their coop. so i had read somewhere on here that someone had trimmed the fluffy feathers around their eye and that it helped but i'm not sure how far to trim the feathers? do i trim all the feathers on the side or just the few right around their eyes? any help would be great thanks.

2. txmel

txmel Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    anyone?

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Give them a mohawk & they'll surely be able to see. If you do, please post a pic!

4. kittyacid

kittyacid Songster

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    edit - double post

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. kittyacid

kittyacid Songster

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Just do what looks right to you. I started by trimming just a bit, but as I watched my Silkie, I thought she could use a bit more cut and she does basically have a mohawk now. I cut things very close, including the fluff, just be careful! It made a big difference in her sight and she holds her head like the non-Silkies instead of constantly twisting to see things. Since her field of vision is better, I feel like she is safer too.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    here are pics of mine, its easier to do after a bath when they are relaxed- and then its so funny to watch them peer around- like 'wow! there is a world out there!'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by